Monday 11 January 2010

Political MMQ

It has been a rich week on the political front. Some weeks are just like this. Some weeks the irony almost leaves me speechless.

(I said, "almost.")

Let us review.


Rush Limbaugh is out of the hospital after being admitted for chest pain. After leaving the hospital where the cause of his chest pain was never determined (I'd like to suggest it might be caused by listening to his own radio show - I know listening to him on the radio occasionally causes me some chest pain) Rush had some amazing insight to share with us. He said, "The treatment I received here was the best that the world has to offer. Based on what happened to me here, I don't think there's one thing wrong with the American health care system."

What a freaking relief. I can't articulate how happy I am that a fat cat millionaire with a Cadillac insurance plan has the ability to buy the best health care in the world. Because I mean, shit... if the millionaires aren't getting the best health care in the world, what chance do the rest of us have?



My favorite gal pal, fellow writer and politico, (not to mention master linguist), Sarah Palin has inked herself a deal with Fox News. I admit I am a bit confused about how exactly Sarah is going to fit in with the fair and balanced news network. I mean, after all, nothing says "fair and balanced" like hiring the girl who makes the news to also report the news. No word yet on whether or not she'll refer to herself in the third person when doing a story on herself. You know, kind of like watching Elmo do journalism. The upside? I'm sure she'll no longer have to worry about those "gotcha" interview questions since she'll be interviewing herself.



The challenge to California's Proposition 8 in Federal Court began yesterday. This is the first step in determining if same sex couples have the Constitutional right to marry. I had looked forward to viewing the court proceedings on YouTube. However, the anti gay marriage camp has temporarily blocked the video postings by arguing that putting the proceedings on YouTube would lead to witness intimidation. A victory for persecuted straight people everywhere. I'm sure Carrie Prejean, that symbol of pious, siliconed, mega-church, evangelical, opposite marriage is very relieved. You know, just in case she's called as an expert witness.



Liz Cheney was back on the Sunday morning talk shows this week promoting her new organization, Keep America Safe. No word yet on whether or not the organization's mission includes locking Dick's shotgun away. She did indicate that the Christmas Day bombing attempt was a direct result of the United States dropping it's torture program. I'm not sure exactly how torture failed to prevent the attempted shoe bomber on her Daddy's watch, but I'm sure I'm just missing a fundamental distinction. You know, kind of like the one she misses between what is morally right and wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment